The kids at home... 10/22/20

 Today was interesting with the kids at home... I was teaching 2D Art and realizing that some of my remote students were not really present. I was calling on them and asking them questions about their work and they could not respond. I sent them emails about it, and some to parents as well. I put a message in Classroom for all my classes: 

Hey Everyone! It's been great to have students back in our classrooms! I just want to clarify... as we start to do "hybrid" learning, the remote learners are going to need to work a bit harder to stay on-task, and stay involved. The workload for this class assumes that you are using your studio time at home, so if you don't use the class time regularly for class work, you will struggle to learn the skills and do well on the assignments. We are already getting less class time every week than we usually do. We have to make the remote days count! When I need to talk to you during class, you should be there, and be able to respond to questions. I need to check in with full-remote students and hybrid students during class sessions. When you are remote (2 days a week): be on time, ask questions, use your class time well When you are at school (1 day a week): come prepared, enjoy community, access the instructor for advice

 I can already see the impacts of this schedule and routine. Some of the kids who are coming to class are starting to work for the first time all semester. It's kind of strange. Can they do enough work in 1 day a week for 8 weeks?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppy is a Gem 10/22/20

Unseasonably warm yesterday, & other stuff